Monday, April 5, 2010

Fit for Mountain Bike Racing




On Saturday I went in my first mountain bike race ever. I have been mountain biking since I was in high school, but I have never had the guts to enter a race. I think my sister’s going in the race with me gave me the extra push I needed to give it a try. Plus, we were in the women’s 35+ category, and I didn’t think the expectations were going to be too high for a bunch of old ladies. We went in the Cholla Challenge in Hurricane, southern Utah.

My sister is tough. She came in second. I came in seventh. Ten people in our category. I had a small wipe out. Someone stopped on a hill in front of me and I couldn’t get my feet out of my pedals fast enough and fell over. No big crash, but someone passed me, and it slowed me down a little. Also, I have had a cold all week, and my lungs were definitely not 100%. If not for that, I could have been in the women’s sport category…or not.

As far as Crossfit goes, it’s keeping me in pretty good shape, especially for anaerobic stuff like hammering up a hill. But I could tell that sport specific training would help me with my mountain biking. If I want to improve my riding, I’m going to have to figure out a way to fit some riding time in along with my four Crossfit workouts every week (and being a mom). I might have to get the bike trainer out and ride at night. That was working well when we could watch movies and spin downstairs but now the downstairs tv is broken. There’s always something.

In the food department, we tried the chicken soup, lime chili pork tenderloin, and the quiche from the dialed-in nutrition site and we liked them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment