Thursday, February 4, 2010

A day of desperation—wanting something just because I can’t have it. The ice cream in the freezer is calling my name, and I don’t even like the flavor that much: peanut butter cup. If I were “allowed” to have it, I would probably open the freezer, look at it, think “I don’t really love that flavor,” and shut the door. Today, I am looking longingly at my one-year old’s bread crusts and honey nut Cheerios and feeling like if I just ate them up, it would fill any longing in my soul.

It’s not that the food I’ve eaten today hasn’t been yummy. I had eggs, grapefruit, and strawberries for breakfast. By the way, the Costco grapefruit is really tasty. And the strawberries were pretty good, too, considering it is February. The produce is definitely better quality at Costco. I wish it were down the street instead of 40 minutes away in the “big city” of St. George. Anyhow, for lunch I had a salad of romaine, romas, English cucumbers, pepperoncini (which I think might be illegal because they are pickled, I have to find out), avocado, pine nuts, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. All the ingredients were yummy, but the combination was a little strange. I don’t know if it was the balsamic and avocados or the pine nuts and pepperoncini or what, but I probably won’t do that combo again.

Back to Costco for a moment. Last night we had frozen green beans from Costco. They were so good! I just steamed them in the microwave, and they were delish. My one-year-old grabbed the bowl and started eating them by the fistful. The brand is Lisa’s Organics, which I hope the store keeps. They always seem to be switching brands just when I find something I really like. The frozen salmon was also pretty good, and that’s coming from a salmon snob who grew up in the northwest eating barbequed salmon that my uncle caught fresh. I was strong and resisted eating it with lime and brown sugar, the way my mom often makes it. I just brushed it with a little olive oil, and it was pretty good. Today I realized that I could make it with honey and lime. Cavemen ate honey, yippee! So I’ll try that next time.

As for tonight, it’s Greek salad (without the feta), steamed carrots, and chicken. I had some fresh cilantro so I made a marinade with lime and cilantro. We’ll see how that goes. Probably won’t be like a night at Café Rio.

been so kind as to say that she will have hummus and veggies and even lettuce wraps!

No comments:

Post a Comment